Friday the 13th: Ghost hunting at Paxton Manor

I have a long history with Paxton Manor, in Leesburg, Virginia. A dozen years ago, I read about an underground cavern that housed an enormous lake under a Victorian mansion near where I lived and I was determined to find out more about it. I wanted to see the lake where men could paddle a boat in the darkness, and with only a miner's lamp secured to a helmet to guide them. Unfortunately, I had lost the newspaper clipping and couldn't remember the name of the house. My Google-fu had failed and I was left to my imagination to fill in the blanks. 


Years later, a mutual friend introduced me to the director of Paxton by chance and I was able to tour the grand manor house and visit its new incarnation as the home of the ARC campus of Loudoun County. The first thing I did was ask about that cavern. It was there -- but the well had been sealed with a 1,000 lb cement cap. Thwarted again.

Paxton has been a hotbed of paranormal activity for years, and they asked me and the Wee Ghosties team if we'd like to lead a group of ghost hunters as we did on their annual Friday the 13th investigation last year. We jumped at the chance. 

It's been a long wait for Friday the 13th to roll back around the calendar but next month, LaMishia, our new team member, Larry, and I are back at Paxton and ready to see if we can pry the lid off that ca... nevermind.

Join us? All proceeds go to the ARC of Loudoun, a fabulous organization and one we're proud to be associated with for this event.




7 comments:

  1. I didn't realize the connection to the manor -- that is so cool! As much as a wuss as I am, someday you may talk me into one of going with you to one of these things. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get you, my pretty. However, the mansion is getting ready for it's major fundraiser, Shocktober, so there are lots of fun false walls to navigate and gooey things poking out of --- well, some things are better left unsaid -- and I know how you are around zombies. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Stacey,would love to explore but cant,bummer but the underground cavern that housed an enormous lake under a Victorian mansion,now that is very fascinating,I hope you keep plugging its origins,a mystery worth exploring,very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That house has haunted my dreams for years and I'm so excited to be a part of its history now with our investigations.

      Great to hear from you!

      Delete