A bit of snuff and an afternoon dalliance at the Ebbitt?



I love antiques. I've been collecting them since early teenagehood and I've never stopped being intrigued by bits and scraps of other people's lives -- as a writer, it goes with the territory. Today, I found a small tobacco tin at a local shop and when I lifted the card to give it a good cleaning inside, I found on the reverse of the card was an...invitation? ;)

Reads:

GIVEN
Absolut(e)

NO STRINGS - NO R
If your Number W
YOU DO
The Lots
KISSI(NG)

THEY POSITIVEL(Y) 
This is not a scheme -- it is
this card in to the headquarte(rs)
Ebbit Hotel, between 12 noon

THIS CARD MU BE P
REMEM(BER)



Well, color me intrigued. What happened at the Ebbitt Hotel?


2 comments:

  1. That certainly is intriguing!

    I still have a tobacco tin that belonged to my great-grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D.C. is famous for its extracurricular activities so nothing surprises me but the card at the bottom of the tin did. I'm still researching the hotel; it's been through many incarnations since the mid-19th century, but I suspect the card dates to it's boarding house days.

    ReplyDelete