How's that social networking working out for ya?

Writers are generally thought of as hermit-like creatures, mumbling incoherently as they work out plot holes and twitch at the thought of the new Dan Brown book being released. And I try to uphold that vision at all times BUT I've fallen into the facebook trap, cleverly disguised as my grandma wanting photos of my children. By the time I'd figured it out, they had suckered me into Farmville and buying cows. WTF?

I quickly escaped and put myself into the no-Mafia zone, finding solace with others who had only bruises and the faint smell of salami wafting in the room. While I enjoy connecting with adults who had shared the halls of my high school (Hi Robin!) twenty-ahem years later, I find my closer connections are with fellow writers; those who have drug themselves away from their WIPs, unplugged the coffee IV and shared a piece of themselves I wouldn't have ever known about otherwise.

I'm curious to see how facebook and twitter will change the face of business. So far it's very bad manners to hawk your business on status updates. Peer pressure can be a lovely thing. But how long until facebook becomes an ad farm? I've already blocked those who tread too closely to the line if I haven't "fanned" their business page; think they'll learn from it? Most likely not.

What do you use your facebook/twitter for? Family? Business? Friends or games? Or is it just a lovely time-sucker that is socially acceptable?

9 comments:

  1. All of the above! I think of FB as a little cocktail party where we spend a few moments discussing what is on our mind, share blog and writing info, and take a break from dancing with my kids (ahem).. um...I mean writing. Yeah... a break from writing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No shame in it, woman! I just spent the better part of the evening dancing to Single Ladies with Syen.

    Uh uh oh uh uh oh
    If ya like it then ya better put a ring on it------

    ReplyDelete
  3. They suck my time like a starved vampire, and yet I can't. Stop. Using. Them!

    BAH!

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use FB for everything - playing with quizzes, rambling status updates that really have no real meaning, sharing blog posts, and asking for advice. I use Twitter mostly for sharing blog posts and attempting to network with other writers . . . though, I'm sure all I'm succeeding at is getting lost in the shuffle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social media allows us to connect in so many new ways. People we would have never met previously. The opportunity to grow relationships and share like ideas. Our habits don't change. The platforms through which we exercise those habits do. We write or we don't. We have that discipline or we don't. The phone would have stolen that time previously. Before that, letters. Social media is the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So where do you think we go from here? Has Social Media made it easier to remove ourselves from the hassle of meeting face-to-face? Or does it allow us to deepen friendships that may have been lost due to time or distance?

    ReplyDelete
  7. To answer your latest comment - I don't believe I would have been able to foster these kind of relationships face-to-face because I barely have the energy, time, or ambition to visit my friend across the street . . . let alone a circle of writers I constantly turn to for help, advice, and shoulder crying. :-) That's just me, though. Plus, I live in the middle of nowhere and, during my decade in this career, I've never met one single writer here. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Social media, like the phone and the letter before it, sets the table for a face to face relationship, whether that be in business, government, or personal venues. SM is a catalyst and, later, a means of sustainment. As to friendships that have been lost to time and distance, those were lost because we chose not to continue them. There were means available to sustain those friendships. However, like so many things, points in time have a great effect on determining our sensibilities and relationships. SM is merely another tool to find, grow and sustain relationships. A tool. Not the end. A means to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is this your subtle way of asking me to dance again, Jason? ;)

    ReplyDelete